Preventing Drug Use:
What Educators Should Know
6 Easy Ideas for Integrating Substance Abuse Prevention Into Your Classroom
- Create an environment where your students feel comfortable asking questions and expressing their feelings.
- Discover More. Learn about the most popular drugs of abuse and what they look like. Also, learn how to identify the potential warning signs of abuse.
- Raise Awareness. Hang posters in your classroom and have age appropriate prevention materials available for students and parents.
- Integrate drug education into your curriculum. Whether you teach science, or social studies, there are always teachable moments where you can integrate prevention into your curriculum.
- Build a good rapport with parents and school social workers/counselors.
- Collaborate with parents and school social workers/counselor to put together a well thought plan to assist a student that may be in need of support with this issue.